Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas With Christ

A week before Christmas, the southern part of our country was hit by a tropical storm named Sendong. It took away 600 (and counting) lives of our fellowmen particularly in Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, Bukidnon, Compostela Valley, Negros Oriental, Zamboanga del Norte and Surigao del Sur.

It tears my heart to see them suffer when in fact, they should be merry and ready to celebrate the coming of Christ. It's going to be traumatic to most of the people there, compared to us here who are blessed enough to be alive today, preparing our presents and receiving gifts from people, enjoying our everyday existence, attending parties and busy planning what to wear and cook on the eve of Christmas day.

From the amount of rainfall to signal warnings, lack of evacuation plans and local government preparation to illegal logging (which they said primarily caused the flash flood), no one should be blamed alone. We are all held responsible for this. Christmas or not, this tragedy pinches us right at the bottom of our hearts. I also grieve for those who survived the catastrophe but mourn the loss of their loved ones.

My subscription to a free daily devotion called God’s Minute sent me a very striking message a day ago. This perfectly fits those who are suffering from the loss of a loved one this Christmas. If not, the message encourages the subscribers to forward this piece to those in distress.

"My First Christmas In Heaven"

  I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below
  With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars, reflecting on the snow
  The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away the tear
  For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

 I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear
  But the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas
  choir up here.  I have no words to tell you, the joy their voices
  bring.  For it is beyond description, to hear the angels sing.

  I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart
  But I am not so far away, We really aren't apart.
  So be happy for me, dear ones, You know I hold you dear.
  And be glad I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

  I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
  I sent you each a memory of my undying love.
  After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold.
  It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.

  Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do.
  For I can't count the blessing or love he has for each of you.
  So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear
  Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ
  this year.
                                                                   Author Unknown

I just read this today because I was not able to check my email this past weekend and upon reading it this morning, I found myself crying. I pray for those who are burdened, those who are battling with courage that they may be able to see the light.

“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, not crying, neither shall there be any pain: for the former things are passed away.” (Revelations 21:4)



P.S.: I recommend that you subscribe to God's Minute, too! It's free, click here to subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment